We celebrate the release of Homa Hoodfar with an episode about academic freedom around the world. Plus, Sam talks to a South African #FeesMustFall protester who says students at his school are being ignored because they are black and poor.
#1: CUNY Waves Application Fee
- Harris, Elizabeth A. “CUNY Application Fee to Be Waived for Low-Income Students.” The New York Times. 26 Sept. 2016.
- Snider, Susannah. “Colleges that Charge Students the Most to Apply.” US News. 1 Dec. 2015.
- Nicola, Tara. “Admission Statisics 2014-2015: US Four-Year Colleges & Universities.” Tableau Public. 7 Sept. 2016.
#2: University… Racist?
- Jaschik, Scott. “Epidemic of Racist Incidents.” Inside Higher Ed. 26 Sept. 2016.
- McGill, Andrew. “The Missing Black Students at Elite American Universities.” The Atlantic. 23 Nov, 2015.
- “Campus Ethnic Diversity.” US News & World Report. 2016.
- Munguia, Hayley. “Here’s What Happens When You Ban Affirmative Action in College Admissions.” FiveThirtyEight. 9 Dec. 2015.
- Morrison, Aaron. “College Tuition Increase: Racial Diversity Drops as Costs go up, study finds.” International Business Times.
#3: Teacher Evaluations Suck
- Uttl, Bob, White, Carmela A. and Gonzalez, Daniela W. “Meta-analysis of Faculty’s Teaching Effectiveness: Student Evaluation of Teaching Ratings and Student Learning Are Not Related.” Studies in Educational Evaluation. 19 Sept. 2016.
- Ioannidis, John P.A. “The Mass Production of Redundant, Misleading, and Conflicted Systematic Reviews and Meta-analyses.” The Milbank Quarterly 94:3 (2016): 485-514.
#4: Routers Know How You Feel (No They Don’t)
- Zhao, Mingmin, Adib, Fadel, and Katabi, Dina. “Emotion Recognition Using Wireless Signals.” MobiCom’16. Oct. 2016.
- Conner-Simons, Adam and Gordon, Rachel. “Detecting Emotions with Wireless Signals.” MIT News. 20 Sept. 2016.
- Berman, Robby. “New Tech Uses WiFi to Read Your Inner Emotions – Accurately, and From Afar.” 23 Sept. 2016.
- The Associated Press. “South African Official Blames Students for Worker’s Death,” The New York Times. 27 Sept 2016.
- Usher, Alex. “Social License and Tuition Fees.” Higher Education Strategy Associates. 23 Sept. 2016.
- Makhafola, Gertrude. “University of Limpopo Suspends Lectures.” Independent Online. 28 Sept. 2016.
- Sheehan, Ivan Sascha. “Iran’s Assault on Academic Freedom.” The Hill. 11 Sept. 2016.
- “Homa Hoodfar Released from Jail.” Scholars at Risk Network. 28. Sept, 2016.
Correction from Daniel Munier: Professor Mohammad Hossein Rafiee was granted one month of medical leave in on mid-September 2016, and is currently with family. It is unclear whether the authorities will extend or renew his medical leave, or adjust his sentencing.